long-term goals essay, 300+ word essay on career goals, professional career goals essay
Introduction of Career Goals
A career decision is indeed one of the most critical and dreaded parts of life, and the lack of proper counselling and guidelines can further complicate this process. In India, most of the educational institutes are unable to provide adequate career counselling to students. A recent study has revealed that India needs 1.4 million career counsellors for 350+ million students. Carrier decision is one of the significant steps in shaping the future of a person. The choice of right career option can bring you happy, prosperous, and satisfying life while a wrong decision may haunt you for life.
Gone are the days when life was easier, smooth, and harmonious wherein majority cases, the son followed their ancestral profession. Due to the rapid change in situation and progress in science & technology, things have changed. So, the choice of right career goal at the right time has become a prime task, and we need to understand what is career goals and how one can set the career goals.
What is Career Goal?
Career goal is a specific statement explaining the profession that an individual intends to pursue throughout his life. For instance, suppose an 18-year old boy has just cleared his intermediate course and decided to enter into four years B.Tech program. After completion of his undergraduate course, he has to work for a big MNC for three years. After gaining the work experience, he will try to get into a management course. And thereafter, the boy is aiming to become the CEO of ABC company. This can be a perfect career goal, set for an 18-year old boy. In brief, setting up academic as well as a professional target for a given time frame defines a career goal.
Career goals are categorised into two types, short-term and long-term career goals. To achieve the final goal, it’s essential to have both short-term and long-term career goals. Short-term career goals are defined as the goals that can be achieved within a short period time like finishing High school, completing final exams in college, working as an intern for six months or a year for a company etc. On the other hand, if a high school boy sets his primary goal to become the CEO of a company, then this falls under a long-term career goal. But to achieve a long-term goal, it needs the completion of all the phases of short-term goals.
Before a person set his goals, he should have a clear vision towards his expectations from life, and his daily activities should relate to his main motive. People with well-planned career goals, experiment more to monitor their progress, and over time, they face different challenges which make their life adventurous and exciting. On the other hand, a person with no career goals finds all his time similar and after working on the same niche for a long time, realise that his life is turned to be boring and dull. Hence, there is need of career theories to be followed for better career planning.
Career Development Theory
According to Accountemp’s survey, 93 per cent of employees in the US believe that goal-setting is important for their job perspective. Career guidance and counselling in the Western world, especially in the US, has developed a comprehensive system of the theory called career development theory. It is the study of success path, professional growth, career trajectory, and overall job satisfaction.
This theory sets a theoretical framework as well as a cultural-specific model that can explain the development of a career at the local level. After abroad research on career development theory, the ‘big-five’ theoretical model was developed by D. Brown & association in 2002. Later on, it was modified by Lent and D. Brown in the year of 2005. The career development theory cultivates a positive emotional relationship between work and develops a meaningful professional ambition. These five theories are:
- Theory of work-adjustment.
- Vocational personalities in the work environment (Holland’s theory).
- The self-concept theory of career development.
- Theory of circumscription & compromise
- Social cognitive career.
There are many other popular theories on career development such as Frank Parson’s trait and factor theory, Super’s developmental self-concept theory, Roe’s personality theory etc. It is necessary to understand career development theory as it can be a vital step in determining the desired path and also enlighten on the importance of career goals.
Importance of Career Goals
Solid career goal is important, as it provides a road map and direction where we want to see ourselves in future. A perfect career planning illuminates our strengths and weaknesses. It also aware us about the skills and pieces of knowledge which we require to achieve the goals. As a large proportion of our life is spent in achieving our career goals.
Thus, it is essential to make sure that carrier planning was done at the early age of our life. Elon Musk, the owner and CEO of Tesla Motors and The Spacex, is a perfect example who set his goals in the early years of his life. At the age of 10, he learned how to program and at the age of 12, sold a game called Blastar to Spectra-videos for USD 500. From then, he didn’t stop and become one of the self-made multimillionaires in the world.
This is enough reason for inspiration to why career goals are important to achieve success. So, let’s discuss some crucial points which show the importance of career goals:
- People who tap into their strength at work are six times more likely to be engaged and focused. So, leverage your strength if you want to achieve the height of your success.
- Successful carrier doesn’t happen by chance. You shall have to develop a skill and need to know where you want to go because a fix career goals make you more apt to take a step in the right direction.
- Suppose, you are a customer service agent and aims to become the CEO of the company but if you haven’t clear mindset causes loss in self-confidence. So, you have to plan accordingly to take advantage of opportunities when they appear.
- A proper career planning can avoid joblessness and help you to stave off unemployment due to lack of demand for your skill and degree.
- Career goals prevent financial losses. The Indian Bank Association (IBAs) says that most of the students are unable to pay the loan due to the high-interest rate and reduced salaries. This means that student who doesn’t plan their career can face financial disaster in future.
Tips for Setting Best Career Goals
Now we have understood the importance of career goals and why it’s a good idea to have a career plan. Currently, if you don’t have the skills necessary to land your dream job, you shouldn’t stop aiming for the goal. So, let’s focus on a few tips to be implemented for setting the best career goals:
- Always make a written plan because studies reveal that those who write down their career goals have more chances of achieving them. It will also help you to know your current position and ultimately lead you to your final goal.
- Make a detailed step and break your larger goals down into smaller, realistic, and timely aims. Attach deadlines to each one of the steps and ensure that you are on the right track.
- Building wealth is the main motivator when it comes to career planning, but focusing on money alone can lead an unhappy job experience. So, set your focus on what you enjoy doing and what you are good at.
- There is no certainty that your career goal will turn out exactly as you planned. You may notice that your preferences have changed with time. So, don’t be afraid to adjust your career plans and always be adaptable.
Conclusion of Career Goals
Career goals encourage us to take ownership of our future and build confidence to step forward, but the decision of the carrier doesn’t depend only on one’s wish or desire. There are several other factors like access, skill, qualification, and financial situation, which are to be taken into consideration. So, the lack of proper career planning can affect our entire life, and a person without career goals are like the wind without direction. Thus, career goals give the true meaning and purpose of living.